Here are some interesting things Maldivians talked about on twitter last week.
1. Space Parade released a new comedy sketch
2. A new spin on rape
There’s nothing good or wonderful about rape, lady! Stop pulling metaphors from your ass to justify the level of unsustainable “development” this regime has brought. Most of the damage done is irreversible so the least you can do is stop trying romanticize rape... honestly, wtf! https://t.co/tSzmO3AkVS— Maya Mauroof (@MayaMauroof) March 28, 2018
3. A young Maldivian scientist at #SciTechMv2018
4. A Maldivian engineer pledged to gave up bottled water
1. I will drink supply water at home, work and outside— Adam Mubeen (@GuppyOnWheels) March 28, 2018
2. I will carry a refillable water bottle if I am going to be outside for longer.
3. I will ask for tap water instead of bottled water whereever supply water is available and will gladly pay for it.
Why do I want to do this?— Adam Mubeen (@GuppyOnWheels) March 28, 2018
As an engineer working in the water and sanitation sector I know that the Maldives spends billions of Rufiyaa on building, operating and maintaining water supply systems.
I am not only aware, but also qualified enough to say that these systems produce safe drinking water.— Adam Mubeen (@GuppyOnWheels) March 28, 2018
5. Pizza Hut opened its first store in the Maldives, an opportunity that local politicians were quick to take advantage of
Global food chain @pizzahut unveils it’s first Maldives outlet at Capital Male’ tonight, Managed by Gamma Island food pvt ltd. Undoubtedly, these are the results of unprecedented economic developments brought by HEP Yamin’s Government since 2013. @em_saeed pic.twitter.com/wHhi2Am6sl— Ahmed Nihan (@ahmed_nihan) March 28, 2018
Our struggle against totalitarian systems of state power continues. The struggle to curtail excessive corporate power who sells poisoning food to our children should be stopped at this stage. Meals like Garudhiya, Farumass is the joy that our kaabafain brought. #BoycottPizzaHut pic.twitter.com/FUTZ9saz3J— #FreeFarisNow 🎈 (@faixal) March 29, 2018
6. A government company apologised for the "oversight" of having a smaller prize for the Women's Champions of a futsal cup
1/2: Dear all, we are pleased to announce that we are making the prize money for #YCFC2018, equal for both men & women. We would like to apologize sincerely for our oversight. HDC believes in equal opportunities & stand strong for equality of both genders.https://t.co/fghqmjrGLG pic.twitter.com/2apyMyK6vQ— HDC (@hdcmaldives) March 29, 2018
7. Local minister claimed that he would develop the Maldives "like Tokyo", which drew widespread ridicule
Rough translation: "First people should develop (themselves). We should (start) fining people who litter. Not just put (traffic) stickers on motorbikes. Tokyo my foot"
Rough translation: "On Tokyo's roads are Tokyo's police, who are in front of Tokyo's IGMH (local hospital) tirelessly collecting money for Tokyo's government coordinators."
Rough translation: "What used to be Lonuziyaarai' magu".
By "develop like Tokyo", he probably didn't mean the discipline and spectacular planning the Japanese put into things.— Naail 🎈 (@kudanai) March 31, 2018
He probably meant they want to run the county like the Yakuza.
What the actual fuck Muizzu? Istg I hate every single cell of you. Swimming track area is used by many people. The place is a blazing furnace n you have cut down the few trees that were there. I hope Mahsharu dhuvahun kaley amurah kendi hurihaa gasthah kaley fahathun dhuvaane. pic.twitter.com/trcJQyv1t6— marmalade 🎈❓ (@amrizlyn) April 2, 2018
8. The people of Noonu Atoll Landhoo protested about their electricity service
Rough translation: "N. Landhoo is in total darkness. The citizens are protesting. They are questioning whether their electricity bill will be reduced by getting rid of their electricity entirely"
9. 888 days passed since former rock star VP Adeeb was incarcerated. Photos show a totally different looking man.
10. A woman shared examples of hate messages received by her non Muslim friend's teenage sister
Here are some of the hate messages my non muslim friends’ teenage sister received on Sarahah.— Maryam (@mariamshifaa) April 1, 2018
I’m shocked at the extent people would go to force their own beliefs and opinions on others. What if my Hindu friends here in Punjab send me hate messages like this bcs I’m a Muslim? pic.twitter.com/rGIoYXRLXI
11. The Maldives police used blasphemy laws against local NGO head Shahindha Ismail, alleging she is creating religious discord on twitter
I attended the police today and am summoned in writing for Monday. I am alleged of “attempting to disrupt religious unity by creating religious discord through #Twitter ” and investigated under section 617 (1) a and b of the Penal Code. @ahmedshaheed @fidh_en @omctorg @forum_asia pic.twitter.com/Pm3CS9ZhJr— Shahindha Ismail 🎈 (@HindhaIsmail) April 1, 2018
12. Images showed severe coastal erosion in Vaavu Atoll Fulidhoo
The beautiful Fulidhoo island in Vaavu atoll is facing severe coastal erosion. This pictures are taken from the Northern side of the island. According to the local and island council, construction waste are dumped here to prevent erosion. #Maldives #maldiveislands #raajjethere pic.twitter.com/1nCJ7B0F0V— the islandgirl (@AfaHussain) April 2, 2018